Sunday, November 14, 2010



As my friend and I simultaneously explore in world, I photograph her tattoo to superimpose upon my fabricated second life character. The overlap of one’s living breathing existence with that of the computerized semi-algorithmically customized character appeals to me, especially in the case of something as intimate as a tattoo.

Taking something that is an understood copyright because it is on your body, you own it. Steeling that, digitizing it. Replicating tattoos that are more inline with the real world around me.

Nothing is permanent in regards to a second life body; the meaning of permanence is lost. Taking something that is considered permanent in the real world, and translating it into secondlife is to question this difference.

It is not really about tattoos it’s about questioning ontological values hidden in virtual worlds and considering consequences from a lack of permanency.

No comments:

Post a Comment